Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Zionism, Hannukah, and much more Randomness

Sorry to all that I haven't been posting a lot recently. Life's just pretty boring around here right now. Anyway....

So tonight is the last night of Hannukah and its been a fairly eventful Hannukah around here, and by that I mean not really at all. The Kibbutz commemorates Hannukah by dishing out a few jelly doughnuts and there was a Latke dinner on Monday night. Otherwise we've pretty much been fending for ourselves. I've made it a point to light the candles every night with my friends.

It occurred to me a few days ago that my summer vacation is coming to a close. School let out for me in June and its now December. This period of time represents the longest period of my life without school to date. Kinda weird to think that in a few days I'll be back at it. Yet I'm very excited to be starting my Ulpan. I know that my Hebrew has already improved, but I'm sure that in 5 months I'll be pretty close to fluent. That's the goal anyway. The first phase of my journey is nearing a close and the second leg is up ahead.

I've been pondering a lot of things while staring at screws falling into boxes all day. Can I be a better Zionist living in the diaspora than living in Israel? Its a strange notion to think about since I have always been taught that Aliyah is the highest form of Zionism. However, I think that I can do more productive for the state of Israel by working for the Jewish community in America and teaching Zionism to the community. Yet on the other hand...who knows. Life is complex and I've only been here for about 50 days. These are thoughts and I'm not planing on doing anything drastic. Just some things I'd like to share with my loyal readership.


Till next time...

2 comments:

Phyllis Sommer said...

loyal readership, eh? i guess that means me so here i am. i think that there is great value in teaching zionism from the diaspora -- i know that there seems to be a dearth of it amongst the teenagers in my congregation so i hope i'm bringing a measure of it to them...

glad to hear you're having a good chanukah and that you're ready to get back to school...as dad always says: a bad day at school is better than a good day at work!

Phyllis Sommer said...

p.s. imho, i think you spell chanukah wrong.

There was an error in this gadget