Friday, November 16, 2007

Shabbat/Day 28

So now I have been in Israel for a month. I know that most month's are 30-31 days...but everyone discounts February. It is still a month and yet only 28 days...29 on a good year. Well a lunar month is roughly 28 days and that's how long I've been here.

Its Shabbat once again and I've decided not to go anywhere this weekend. I've been out and about all over the country, except for the south. I think that this weekend I'd rather get some extra sleep and be bored for awhile. Who knows I might even stay up till 3am and listen/watch the Gopher Hockey Game on my computer.

For some reason this week has been pretty hard on me. It might have something to do with work...the monotony is starting to get to me. Also the Communism thing is getting to me as well. We all assume, in America and other capitalist economies, that hard work will be rewarded. This week I learned that this is not necessarily so in Communism. Since the pay is the same no matter how fast the work is done, everyone works slowly. On Wednesday there was no work in the factory except for 2 stations. Everyone quickly volunteered themselves for trivial tasks, but I asked to work at one of the 2 stations doing something useful. I assumed that this might win me some points and get me home early. Instead my boss ended up sending home the other workers early and I had to stay until the end of the day. Pretty annoying but not a mistake I'll make again in the near future.

This week has also got me thinking about Zionism and Aliyah. Many of the Ulpan students have made Aliyah and the reasons for doing so are wide and varied. The South Africans are escaping crime and low economy. The Russians are escaping...well Russia and its awfulness. The South Americans are also escaping from the bad economic situations there. Essentially everyone is escaping to Israel. This people haven't made Aliyah because they feel an intense urge to fulfill the Zionist dream. They are searching for a better life. I hope they find it here, but it makes me think about Brett's Aliyah. His sole reason for making Aliyah is to fulfill his Zionism. His army service comes as part of the package and not as the reason for coming. Its made me wonder about my Zionism. My thoughts are not yet coherent enough for a post, but rest assured with so much mindless labor in the factory I'm sure I'll be able to find the words eventually. Just something for you all to think about this Shabbat: What is your Zionism and what does it mean to you?

Shabbat Shalom everyone!

1 comment:

Phyllis Sommer said...

your observations are interesting. i do know that most americans make aliyah out of zionistic fervor but most others do it for other reasons as well (some are also zionist)...i wonder what this does to the community of immigrants and how they work together...

There was an error in this gadget