Thursday, November 29, 2007

Randomness Update

So its become more difficult to post to the blog recently. This is because my time on the internet has been cut much shorter. The Kibbutz has installed a new computer in the lab and eliminated the only free internet cable. While the cable was still here I always could plug my lap top in and post. Now I must wait in line to use the computers that they have here. They're horrible and barely worth the time you wait, but at least there's internet. Anyway...here's the update.

Last weekend I had a great time hanging out with Brett in Tel-Aviv. It was probably one of the most fun weekends I've had here, mostly because I was with Brett. He's going into the army in about 18 days. While I know it'll be at least a year before he even gets close to combat, its still a cause for worry. The army is what it is here and its part of his citizenship. I've been speaking with many new immigrants recently. There are a handful like Brett who consider it a duty to The State, while there are, in my opinion, too many others who see it as a different opportunity. For the latter, the army here is a way to prove something to themselves and others. Its too bad, but that is the way it is here.

During the weekend in Tel-Aviv I bought a pair of Crocs. For those of you who don't know what they are, check out the link. For those of you who are currently emailing me to rub it in my face that I bought them...stop. Since when have I ever cared about what people thought of my footwear? Anyway, they're some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever own. Also they're perfect for kibbutz life. They go from the shower to hanging out and everywhere in between.

After the Tel-Aviv trip, the volunteers from Ein Hashofet went on a trip to Akko. Unlike the last volunteer trip, this one was incredibly fascinating. Akko is an almost completely Israeli Arab city. The food, the clothing, the language, and all aspects of life reflect that. For instance, everywhere in Israel has cable tv. In Akko you can see satellite dishes on every house...why you ask? The only way to get Arabic language tv in Israel is through satellite tv. A subtle reminder that while we don't think about it, there is still an Arab minority in Israel.

After Akko we traveled to a nearby Baha'i Garden. It was a beautifully tended garden surrounding the burial place of the faith's most important teacher. The Baha'i faith is a very interesting one. There is no clergy at all. This is because every member of the religion is supposed to teach the faith in their own way. They study the many hundreds of books written by the Baha'i scholars and pray three times daily. They believe that the world's monotheistic religions are simply different paths to the same place. The simplicity of that belief is astounding and also quite beautiful at the same time. All of the workers tending the garden and doing security there were members of the faith. They all volunteered a year of service to the faith's holy places. We met a guard from Atlanta, Georiga and another from Sydney, Australia. Very interesting how they were doing something quite similar to me: volunteering for something they believed deeply in.

After the trip to the gardens we headed straight for Rosh HaNikra. There we climbed through the caves to see the one of the most gorgeous rock formations I've seen in awhile. Other than the rocks though, its not that exciting. There was a cable car ride down to the bottom, but that was pretty much it.

Check out the pictures, I took about 110 between the three sites.

2 comments:

John Sklar said...

Sounds like a wonderful adventure. When you were little we used to stop at a Bahai garden in door country. their religion can be beautiful.

Phyllis Sommer said...

you got CROCS??? what color???

i love rosh hanikra. beautiful grottos...

There was an error in this gadget