Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pesach Two Ways (Part II)

So with all the amazing experiences I had in Jerusalem for my first few days of Pesach, returning to the Kibbutz was a strange slap back into reality...

Returning to the Kibbutz meant one thing: Work. Without class during Pesach, the Kibbutz decided that each Ulpanist got only 3 days off. I got Friday, Sunday, and Monday off, so on Tuesday morning I was in the kitchen working. It was not what I would call the best way to spend a Pesach, but it was pretty much my only choice. I tried to make the best of it, but most of the other Ulpanists took their vacation's sporatically throughout the week leaving mostly a very small group to socialize with. I studied, I ran, and I went to be early. It was pretty boring, but that's not really what this post is about.

During Pesach its very important to me to keep as close to Kosher (for Pesach) as humanly possible. In college I cleaned my entire kitchen and even boiled my utensils and cookware. Sure it was a hassle, but it was important to me to be close to chamez free. Here at the Kibbutz that was pretty much impossible. The kitchen did almost nothing to clean for pesach. In fact many of the things which they cooked were the standard Kibbutz fare. Breaded schnitzle was still served, along with pasta, rice, corn, and coos coos. There was matzoh put out where the bread is normally, but it was right next to the bread.

I'm a fairly easy going guy and none of this would normally faze me. However, I felt like the only one who was keeping Kosher for Pesach on the Kibbutz. It was, needless to say, a difficult experience.

More to come later about the upcoming holidays: Holocaust Rememberance Day, Memorial Day, and Israel's Independence day (YAY 60 YEARS!)

1 comment:

Phyllis Sommer said...

that's pretty wild that they served bread. especially after this article in the nytimes...

interesting....

There was an error in this gadget